The beginning paragraph of Justin’s new book seemed to taunt him as he ran up the stairs two at a time; he couldn’t wait to write more of it, his mind was whirling with ideas of what would happen.
Rushing into his bedroom he grabbed his laptop from his bed and went down the stairs a bit more carefully this time, “Mom,” he called, “I’ll be out in the barn working on my story!” “Okay!” came the reply. Justin half walked half ran out the kitchen door on to the beautiful front porch, the house was a large, white, four square, farm house. Justin went past the chicken coop and into the barn where he settled himself onto a pile of hay near his horse River, and then he opened up his laptop, turned it on and typed in his password,
…Looking for young, skinny, wiry fellows, who are expert riders, must be under the age of eighteen years and willing to risk death daily…
Fifteen year old Teddy Brown looked down at himself, he was skinny and wiry and he was under the age of eighteen; “Mr. Thompson,” Teddy said, “yes Teddy?” The balding grocer responded with a friendly smile. “Do you know where I should go for this advertisement?” Teddy asked gesturing to the paper that was nailed to the wall. “Sure do Teddy,” Mr. Thompson responded, “down the road at the old horse barn, what they are calling the ‘Pony Express’ has bought it and started fixing it up; anyway they have their office down that way.” “Thanks Mr. Thompson, I saw that the old barn was getting fixed but I didn’t know why, I’ll head down there now.” Teddy said. “Are you planning to sign up?” Mr. Thompson asked. “Yes.” Teddy replied shortly…
Justin suddenly realized that he was no longer sitting in the freshly painted, red barn, but standing next to the wall of ‘Thompson’s Grocer’ and not writing the conversation but listening.
Teddy turned towards him, “Howdy.”
“Howdy.” Justin replied, as he nodded his head a hat slid down in front of his eyes; surprised Justin put his hand up and touched a cowboy hat like the one Teddy was wearing. He looked down at himself, all of his clothes had been changed “what in the world?”
Teddy started to walk past him towards the ‘Pony Express’ headquarters. “wait..” Justin called after him, when Teddy stopped and turned around to look at him he mentally reproached himself as he realized that he would have to come up with something to say. “uhh, I was, uhh going to go to sign up as well… could I uh, walk with you?” Teddy raised his eyebrows a little as he looked at the nervous blonde stranger behind him.
“you’re not from around here are you?” Teddy asked with a knowing look in his eye. “no.” Justin replied. “No I’m not from around here, something just happened to me that I thought was only written about in books…” “Teddy grabbed Justin’s arm and pulled him into a shadowy place between two building. “hey! What do you think your doing?“ Justin cried. Teddy eased his grip; “I didn’t mean to frighten you, I needed to tell you something before we got to the pony express headquarters alright Justin?” “how do you know my name?” Justin asked, his heart beating quickly at the thrill of this crazy adventure. “you are here to get ideas for your story; you could say, I am your inspiration.” “so, this isn’t real?” “didn’t you feel me grab your arm?” Teddy responded. “I am perfectly real and so is this town and everyone here.” “Okay, this is kind of strange but I’ll go with it.” Justin submitted. “good.” Teddy said. “now lets get going to the headquarters.”
As Justin followed the tall dark haired, skinny boy down the street towards the old stable his mind was whirling with all that was happening.
When the boys entered the headquarters, a short, fat man with a little bald spot on the middle of his head. “what do you boys want?” The man said in a deep voice that didn’t seem like it could have come from such a small man. “we were lookin’ to sign up for your ‘pony express’ .” Teddy replied for himself and Justin. The man chuckled, “I should have known when you boys walked in that you would be a wantin’ a lil bit o’ adventure an’ escape from the chores at home, am I right?”
Teddy’s eyes flashed with anger but he answered with only a slightly raised voice. “with all due respect, I am taking this job so I can support my family with Pa dead no one can do it now, as for the adventure I love it as much as any boy, but my dear sirtake a job for the sake of adventure? What would become of my family if I went off somewhere looking for adventure? Why, they would have no idea if I would ever come back! I could never do something so disloyal, and I promised that I would take care of them and if I ran away after saying that, why, what sort of man would I be?“ Teddy demanded. The man slowly nodded his head and a big grin came onto his face. “that’ll do lad.” He said. “Yes Sir.” Teddy said dropping his gaze to the floor. Justin felt bad for his new friend but his respect for Teddy had grown. “do you feel the same as your brother lad?” the fat man asked turning to Justin. “Oh, I- “ Teddy gave him a look that said “go with it.” “Yes sir.” Justin said standing proudly next to his “brother” “I feel the same.” The man smiled and held out his hand towards the boys; “My name is Edwin Hart, I am the headmaster of this station and if you boys have that same strong loyal feeling of duty just the personalities we have been looking for, for a very important job. If you still want the job, your hired.” “alright!” Justin cried. “wait,” Teddy stopped him . “excuse my brother Mr. Hart,” he apologized. “what are you paying, what are we to do exactly , and what is this mission you are talking about?” Justin felt a little annoyed at Teddy for making him look like a fool but he saw the sense in what Teddy was asking. Once again Justin’s respect for Teddy was grudgingly brought up a notch. Justin could tell that Teddy was mature beyond his age. “good questions young man.” Edwin Hart complimented, echoing Justin’s thoughts. “You would each make $100 a month, you would be gone often bringing mail or packages on horseback to other stations, it is a risky job, but it pays well. As for the mission… that is very secret, people talk enough already without us giving them solid facts, so I am afraid you will have to decide before you find that out.” “I see,” Teddy mused. “what do you say Justin?” “Whatever you think Teddy.” Justin said. “say yes Teddy, say yes.” He begged silently. After what seemed like a terribly long time Teddy gave a sigh and said, “Very well, we still want the job.” Justin stifled a whoop and tried to match Teddy’s thoughtful expression.
Edwin Hart held out his hand, Justin and Teddy each shook it. Then Mr. Hart reached into his drawer and pulled out two badges and ten one dollar bills.
“Here is part of your first weeks wages, you will receive the rest before you leave, if you will fill out these forms I will contact you when you are to receive your horses and head out.”
“what about the mission?” Teddy persisted as he bent over the desk to fill out the paper. Mr. Hart walked to the door and peeked out then shut and locked the door. Justin felt his heart beat a little faster as the man walked back to his desk and turned to face the boys. “what is said here stays here boys, understand?” “Yes Sir.” Justin could tell from looking at Teddy that Teddy was as excited as himself.
“I have with me one thousand dollars .” He paused for the affect. “the money from another station that I worked at before I came here and the little bit that I have made here already. It needs to be taken to the main headquarters 100 miles from here, it is very secret and very dangerous if any of this information leaks out. Do you understand?”
“Yes Mr. Hart.”
“Good boys. Now you go home and pack your bags I will come and let you know when you are to leave, it must be very spontaneous to ensure the safety of the money and the riders.” Teddy and Justin nodded in agreement then handing Mr. Hart their papers they took the ten dollars and walked out the door. “Justin, would you play the part of my ‘brother’ for the rest of the time that you are here?” Justin looked up surprised, “well, sure, but why? And what about your family?” “Oh, my Ma and little sisters all know about you. Don’t worry about them. They are prepared for you to be my ‘brother.’ To other folks who know us, we found you on the street with no place to go; but when we get out of this town, no one will know me so you can be my ‘brother’ out there. It is just easier not to have to explain something that no one will even believe, you know?” “That makes sense.” Justin said. “Teddy, what is going to happen with this ‘dangerous’ mission?”
Teddy gave him a funny glance, “how would I know?” “Uh, you are my inspiration, so don’t you know?” Justin answered awkwardly.
Teddy laughed, “no Justin, this is my life, I can’t see into the future. The only reason I knew that you were coming was because I saw you in a dream as did my mother, and that was… two weeks ago.” “Oh; sorry.” Justin apologized embarrassedly.
Teddy grinned, “come on Justin, I want you to meet my family.”
Justin followed Teddy down the street and a little \ways out of town towards a small claim shanty, the tall grass around the corners of the little house waved gently in the warm prairie breeze. A cow was picketed in the back and there were chickens pecking at the ground all around. The small field behind the shanty had a few straggling knee high stalks of corn. Justin silently wondered if that was why Teddy was looking for a job.
Teddy led the way into the house, a small woman with slightly graying hair, whom Justin assumed was Teddy’s mother was leaning over the fire stirring something in a kettle but other than that and the crackling sound of the fire, there wasn’t a sound. The woman looked up and her careworn face brightened to see them; to Justin’s surprise she did not welcome them simply winked at Teddy and bent back over the fire. Teddy went deliberately towards a roughly hewn coat rack and lifted his hat off of his head, slowly he placed it there and turned around. Justin wondered at his deliberation until he saw two little hands snake their way out of the heavy winter coat hanging on the coat rack around Teddy’s neck; another set of hands came from under a shawl and grabbed his feet and a pair of eyes could be seen underneath the bench, shining with excitement. Three little girls came shrieking from their hiding places and clambering for Teddy’s attention. “Their father dyed when Lily over there was a year old, Sadie was two and Jenna was three; those three have looked to Teddy as their Pa since then.” Justin started at the gentle voice from by his side, he turned and saw Teddy’s mother standing by his side, a tear shone in her eye as she watched Teddy and his sisters. Justin didn’t know quite what to say, “How old was he?” he heard himself ask. “twelve years old.” She responded sadly. “Justin,” Teddy called over the noise the girls were making. “These are three of my sisters, Lily, Sadie and Jenna.”
“Nice to meet you.” Justin said with a smile at the blonde little girls, whose hair was all a mess from playing.
“And,” Teddy continued. “you are speaking to my Ma.”
“nice to meet you, Mrs…” Justin paused.
She smiled and winked at him as she said, “my last name is Brown, but while you are here you can call me Ma, like my other children do.”
Justin felt awkward at the thought of calling someone else other than his own Mother, Ma or Mama or Mom or anything else of that equivalent.
”Nice to meet you ma-am.”
”Nice to meet you ma-am.”
“girls and Ma, this is Justin.” Teddy completed the introductions with a flourish of his arm. Jenna smiled at Justin then quickly buried her face in her mother’s long skirt and the other two did not look at him but ran to play with their dolls.
“Ma, me and Justin will be outside doing the chores.” Teddy said opening the door.
Justin followed him out glad to be away from the heat of the kitchen.
“I have another sister,” Teddy said. “she is thirteen, her name is Sara and the most likely place to find her is in the loft reading or acting or something like that.”
Justin looked around, the barn looked slightly familiar, he didn’t know why. He shrugged off the feeling and followed Teddy up the ladder from where a girlish voice was coming. “each picture told a story;” the voice continued as Justin stepped onto the floor of the loft, he looked around for its owner, he saw no one until he felt Teddy tap him on the shoulder then placing his finger on his lips Teddy pointed to a pile of hay where two bare feet were kicked up in the air. Justin stifled the urge to laugh at the humor of the situation. “mysterious often to my undeveloped understanding and imperfect feelings..” the voice went on, the girl’s voice dramatized the seemingly uninteresting book. Teddy beckoned for Justin to follow him then started to creep closer to the haystack. As he followed close behind, Justin realized that he was seeing the boyish side of Teddy for the first time that day.
Teddy crouched down behind the haystack and pulled out a blade of hay and gently ran it across the bare foot nearest him. The voice stopped and a hand reached down to scratch the foot. The minute it had disappeared Teddy did it again only a bit harder. A face popped over the edge, “Teddy Brown!” the blue eyed, freckle faced, blonde girl, shrieked. Justin jumped back, “this, is really awkward.” He thought flushing with embarrassment.
“What do you think you are doing…” Sara stopped short when she realized that there was another person besides herself and her brother in the room. She tried to collect what little pride she had left and stood up and held out her hand.
“I’m Sara.” She said, Justin felt even more like laughing now and it helped none that Teddy was holding his side trying to suppress the laughter. Justin shook her hand. “I’m Justin.” He said, wanting to laugh even harder, then at the end of his sentence he snorted which made both Teddy and himself burst into laughter. A red faced Sara turned and stalked towards the ladder. Teddy stopped laughing, “come on Sari, don’t be sore, I haven’t played a prank like that for a long time. This is Justin, the boy who will be staying with us.” Sara stopped and turned back. “pleased to meet you Justin; and Teddy, I forgive you, but I would like to read my book please.” Teddy nodded and watched as Sara’s curly blonde head disappeared down the ladder.
Teddy shook his head and said. “Sorry Justin, I suppose I shouldn’t have dragged you into that.” Justin started to speak but Teddy interrupted. “actually I shouldn’t have done that at all until Sara knew you. She hates meeting people when she is not prepared for it.”
“come on, we still haven’t milked the cow or mucked the horse’s stall.”
Justin followed Teddy down the ladder not prepared for what would meet them at the bottom.
No comments:
Post a Comment